Archive

Friday, November 16, 2012

UMBRATA

Hey Folks,

I know I have not been posting at all recently, but life has really got in my way. I hope to remedy that but I can make no promises.

I would like however to share a new project I am working on. I have recently been experimenting with Shadow Puppets.  One day recently I came across an article ( I cannot for the life of me find it again), about old school Cambodian shadow puppet theater and was immediately captivated. Being the proud father of a very active and observant 17 month old little girl, I immediately thought of how I could use something like that to entertain her. I also started thinking about the shadow puppets we all used to make on the wall by tipping the lamp on its side and sticking up bunny ears with our fingers ("Don't you break my lamp, young man!" moms invariably call out in warning).

While I could have easily just done this and my daughter would have no doubt been entertained, this just doesn't tickle my artistic fancy the way pulling out some cardstock paper, pencils and an exacto knife do. So I came up with some homemade puppets and put on a little show for her. She was enthralled and squealed with joy numerous times. I was so happy and so inspired that I made a (not so) short list of puppets I wanted to make for her. This list turned into a menagerie of puppets and shadow scenery.

Even though I was now at a loss of where I could store this growing zoo of beasties and peoples I couldn't stop. I was one a role. Am on a roll still. I can't stop coming up with ideas for puppets and making more.

My wife comes out one day and tells me that she has seen similar stuff on Etsy and I could probably sell some on the side if I wanted.  I thought this was a great idea, and have been busy over the last few days make new puppets, taking pictures and setting up my new Etsy account. Well, that is completed and thought that since this is my Blog, I would share it here, regardless of it not being gaming related. Though if anyone has some gaming related puppets they would like to see, please feel free to let me know, I would love to hear them.

So, with out any further to do check out UMBRATA, Shadow Theater and other art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment