Archive

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Character Questionnaire

As a DM I like to know as much as possible about the characters who are participating in the story I am weaving with my game. I want to know exactly what they look like and where they are from.  The more they can tell me the better. If that character has a long lost love I want to know. If they are one half of a pair of twins that is something I feel I need to know. I have a character questionnaire that I have my players fill out before we start a new game.  This is the minimum that I want from my players and if they want to come with more and add on to it that is great!  Since I know I am not the only DM out there who does this I thought I would share my Character Questionnaire. Here it is:



Name:
Player:
Class:
Race:
Age:
Height:
Weight:
Build:
Hair:
Eyes:
Skin:



Overall Appearance and Style:

Personality and Mannerisms:

Brief History:

Home Life:
name of hometown:
your role in town:
social status:
name (or description) of an establishment or two:

Family and Friends (list at least two, including a couple words to describe their personality):

Two prejudices or strong opinions:

What is in your character's pockets, right now?

How did you come to your powers and class abilities initially?

Contacts:
            Name:
            Age:
            Occupation:
            Relationship:

            Name:
            Age:
            Occupation:
            Relationship:

            Name:
            Age:
            Occupation:
            Relationship:

            Name:
            Age:
            Occupation:
            Relationship:


Do you have a character questionnaire that you have your players fill out? What questions do you ask? What information do you want from your players? 

3 comments:

  1. the closet I've come to such things is the Seventh Sea character background quiz. usually I expect a right up from my players on their character's history that goes some way towards filling in some of the questions on your list, but sometimes I like to have players wait until game play to decide everything.

    Playing CP2020 as an example, they may have a contact just listed as NCPD, but during gameplay it turns out that it would be great if they worked traffic. Since it hasn't been finalised in background, makes sense and doesn't disrupt the game, I tend to let stuff like that go.

    Although I am currently in the middle of writing a blog about how I'm a lazy GM, so that might be something to do with it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libranchylde,
    I actually found your blog a few days ago (I was actually Googling "haversack"), and I decided to stick around not because I game but because I write a lot of fantasy, where I apparently need to know about things like haversacks. And I love this questionnaire. I know it's for gamers, but it has some really useful things for character profiles that I haven't thought about before (for example, two things in their pocket), so thanks! It's an awesome questionnaire. =D

    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well executed Character Resignation Letters, i need to check out mine!

    ReplyDelete